Retreat, refresh, repeat.

4:58 PM

   Before reading, go ahead and scroll down to the bottom of the post and play the song by Starfield.  I heard this song today and it reminded me of the retreat and the soul-searching that took place there.  It is hard to put into words much more detail than that, so I guess I'll leave it at that. 

    I guess January was the month for "getting away" which is fine by me.  As far as winters are concerned, let's just say that I wouldn't mind either "getting away" or hibernating for approximately 98% of the duration of the season.  Oh and that goes for spring too.  Basically, wake me up when it's summer.  :p  I was born for 75-80 degree weather year-round, and apparently destined to live in the wrong climate.  But who's complaining?

    This past weekend was the annual Sunday school retreat at the coast, and it was delightful.  There were a lot of people there, although I did not get a full count.  Our entire Sunday school class is 60+ people, and so even though everyone didn't make it, it was a large group. 

Panoramic photo credit--Jess Ropp

   Time was spent in a variety of ways.....



   Mini-golfing, which Brandon & Cindy dominated.  I think they play in their spare time. (which they have TONS of with a 4 yr. old and 1 yr. old twins.;)

    Heart-to-hearts by the fireside, possibly my favorite thing to do.
Board games and table games, like the infamous Dutch Blitz.
And of course, enjoying the beautiful day by walking along the beach.

Jordan & Seneca

Brandon & Jen




Brandon & Cindy


   After coming home, my body was weary, but my soul was refreshed.  And isn’t that one of the greatest feelings? There were two sessions by Pastor Phil, the first one was about “Is the Holy Spirit enough?”  Which has challenged me in a lot of ways, and awakened a heart cry I wasn't even aware of before.  First of all, He already is enough, whether or not we even recognize it.  Whether we are Christians or atheists, He is enough.   But the question is, is He enough in my life?  Am I living that out?  Starting each day with that being my waking thought?  Taking ahold of that and clinging for dear life to in the dark times? Because if everything else was stripped away, He would be enough.  But do I LIVE IT?

   The second session was more of a personal testimony from Phil about being a pastor and a shepherd, and then also some encouragement/challenges to be fully involved in church, and at the same time, avoid getting burned out.  I am so excited to see what God has in store for our church.  There is a lot of young families there, and I sense a yearning in all of our hearts for God to move, and move in a mighty way.

   We enjoyed our time there with friends, savoring the rare opportunity to connect with no distractions, children, or myriad of other responsibilities pressing in on every side.  It was hard to leave Jocelyn for the 2nd weekend in a row, but looking back, I think it was the right thing to do.  She had a wonderful time with her cousins and Auntie Shannon & Uncle Konrad, and we had a wonderful time as well.  Win-win.:)    All in all, it was a wonderful time of soul-food, good fellowship, and precious memories. 



I hope you all had just as blessed of a weekend, and even a little more.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images