Baby meets the beach.

10:52 PM

 
Baby's first visit to the Oregon coast on Sunday was quite the success.

   We had thought it would be nice to head out there to escape the heat wave we'd been experiencing in the Valley, and so of course on the day we decided to go, it cooled down considerably and was cloudy and overcast and quite pleasant at home.  Oh well.  Any trip to the coast is a good use of time, no matter what the weather, if you ask me.

   We went with friends and it was so fun to catch up on some adult conversation while the dads played in the sand and the waves with the children.  I am so thankful that my little ones have a father who gets down on his hands and knees in the sand with them.  I hope they realize what a privilege that is.

   Although at one point the children had lost all interest and were just off doing their own thing and the dads were so intent on finishing this tunnel that they just continued digging on their own.  See that look of intense concentration on Randy's face?  Having kids along was just sort of an excuse to get all dirty and be kids again themselves, I think.

   William was a trooper.  We left straight from church in the morning and me, being the super organized and prepared-at-all-times-for-any-situation-mom that I am, didn't pack extra clothes for him.  My mom would've suffered a mini heart attack seeing him out on the beach on that cloudy, cool day in a romper and no socks.  But I put on his jacket and snuggled him all up in a sling and wore him close to me, and he slept peacefully for hours.  No bare piggies sticking out, Mom, I promise.


   See?  He had a jacket on at least.  And it even was a matching little mini Puma one, like Daddy's. Two of my favorite garage sale finds, recently. The jackets, not the boys. This picture was taken at the end of the day before heading home and also RIGHT before I realized baby had a massive poop.  I spent the next 15 minutes or so trying to clean him all up, which resulted in just throwing a white onesie away.  Why do they always have blowouts in white onesies??  He ended up riding all the way home in nothing but that jacket and a diaper.  But hey, good timing with it being the end of the trip! I still don't know what I would have done if it had happened earlier. 

  It was so fun to catch up with my friend that day.  I didn't ask if I could blog about her, so we'll just leave her unnamed.  She is a reader, a writer, a deep thinker, and a working mom, so she is always a lot of fun to talk to, listen to, and get a different perspective from.   I love how honest she is about her strengths, weaknesses, and things that frustrate her.  I think life would be so much easier if we would all just agree to be a little more honest with each other.  Just think of the time and energy and effort it would save that we usually waste on applying that slick, shiny veneer coating over everything on the surface of our lives.

   We talked about many things.....writing, books that don't really help much and books that do, motherhood, responsibilities that a domestic woman's life entails, and other things, like Instagram.  One thing she mentioned that stuck with me and I haven't quite been able to shake was something to the extent of, "Have you noticed how on Instagram, you're only worthwhile if you're really good at certain things?  Things like decorating your home, arranging pretty food, or personal fashion/style?  If those aren't your strengths, than you're not really noticed."

And I'm sure I'm butchering her quote, but it was something to that extent.


   And I've really been mulling that over.  Because as sad as it sounds, it's fairly true.  Sure there are exceptions to the "rule" as there are in most things, but to a certain extent, that's how it is.  And it's a pity, because there are so many, different kinds of lovely people in our world with so many, MANY different strengths and gifts and talents to offer.  There should be room for all of that.  

   And as I'm mulling, I'm still not sure what the answer is.  Because somehow, while I cannot put my finger on how, some Instagram feeds have found a delicate balance.  They share their lives beautifully AND authentically, and leave you feeling refreshed or inspired.  While some, though having beautiful photos and clever captions and thematic layouts as well.....leave you feeling empty.  Lacking.  Insecure and insufficient.  

   I have no idea what it is exactly that makes the difference, but I can feel it.  Or maybe the difference is me?  And therein lies the problem?   I don't know.  But I hope, I HOPE that everyone can find their place for expression, whether it be Instagram, or a blog, or a book, or a job, or a hobby, or a piece of art, or a song, or any kind of creation or action really......that lets them be THEM.  Let's them use their gifts and strengths, and feel like they are doing something that matters. That THEY matter.  

Because they do.


All three slept on the way out AND the way back, and the angels sang glory.

   And so we got coffees and talked and had a "driving date" which totally isn't a thing but I'm thinking we should make it a thing?  Because dates are hard to come by these days with busy seasons of work and tiny babies and such.  And so maybe once a week we should just tire the kids out by running laps around the house or something and then load them all up in the car and drive around town.

It's worth a try.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images