Affordable fashion.

3:04 PM

A little while ago, I received this comment from an anonymous reader:

  "First off, I love your blog...thank you for sticking with it. I know you said you shop at garage sales and Goodwill a lot, but can you please give those of us who are fashionably challenged a few tips on what stores or brands are your favorites? :)"

   I wish they would have signed their name so I could thank them properly!  But in any case anonymous fan, thanks for reading the blog, and letting me know.  It's so encouraging. And thanks for being brave enough to comment and ask for tips.  I think we all feel like we can use fresh input/ideas when it comes to wardrobes.  You're not alone!

   I honestly had no clue of the scope of my 2nd-hand shopping addiction until I tried to put together outfits for this post.  I could barely even get fully clothed without putting on at least one or two articles that were from thrift stores!  I guess that's kind of something to be proud of, but it really doesn't make for an effective "this-is-where-you-can-shop" type post.  But I managed to find a few here.:)


   This outfit isn't totally brand-new, the skirt is from Goodwill.  Sorry, sorry, I tried.  But the shirt is from Forever 21, and that is definitely one of my first go-to stores if I am going to buy something new.   Their products are the highest quality sometimes, but they are CHEAP.  Especially their jewelry.  You can get a necklace as low as $2! So if that's what you're looking for, that's a good place to start.
  As a general rule, I buy things on sale or clearance, but this chambray shirt was full price, and the reason I made the exception for this was because it is a wardrobe staple.  I know it's something that I will wear for years, can be used in a myriad of different outfits in innumerable ways, and so to me, it's worth it. 

   The necklace however, was on clearance for around 4 bucks at Banana Republic.  Score!  The shoes....I have no clue.  I think I bought them back in high school.  Sorry, I'm seriously not cut out for this fashion blog stuff, because almost everything I own is either really old or 2nd-hand.  Bear with me.

   O.k. for this one we've got Old Navy on display, which is another one of my favorite stores.  The hat, dress, and pants are all from there.  The dress was around $7, the pants around $10, the hat was somewhere in between those.  This outfit, or different variations of it, are a go-to for me.  They can be weather appropriate for just about anything if you add or subtract a sweater, and it's so comfortable and covering I feel like I can do any kind of activity or physical exertion that motherhood might throw my way.


 
   But the shoes are the prize of this outfit, because I scored them for $5 at Wal-mart!!!  I know, right?  I don't even bother to look at the shoes in Wal-mart, but these were on sale in the middle of the aisle and practically jumped out and grabbed me.  

   This outfit is comprised of some more Forever 21 (the top, around $12) and Ross (the skirt, $10).  Ross is a store that sells name brand clothing for way, way less than normal retail price.  I'm not sure if Ross is everywhere or not, but if you have one nearby, you should definitely check it out.  I know people who can make these maxi skirts for as cheap as $6.  But if you're sewing-skills-challenged such as myself, you wouldn't brave it and $10 new would seem like a steal. 



   The belt was on sale (2 for $2.50) at a little store in Canada that I can't remember the name of.  The shoes were $20 from Target, and they are super comfortable, go with anything, and definitely qualify as staples in my book.

   So, I'm not sure if any of that helped you or not.  Basically, if I'm going to buy something that's not from a thrift store, I head to Target, Ross, Old Navy or Forever 21.  Even when shopping at those stores, I always check the sale racks and clearance first, and usually try to make all of my purchases off of there.  But like I said, I make exceptions for truly, classic staple items.  And I usually pay a little bit more for shoes, because I want quality and comfort, rather than just always buying the cheapest pair available.  

   Where are some of your favorite places to shop (other than thrift stores) to find a good bargain?  And I'd love to hear more questions if you have them!  I'm no expert by any far stretch of the imagination, just one fashion-lover passing on bits of what she's gleaned over the years by trial and error. :)  

Hope ya'll are having a great week.

You Might Also Like

28 comments

  1. I like Kohl's - clearance, and 30% off coupons, not the brand new not on sale yet items. I'm going to go check out Forever 21! I also like New York and Co.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All these outfits are so . . . yum. ;)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. classy! recently I've been scoring big at f21. love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your style! Why can't I pull together beautiful outfits like that? :)

    Sadly, I pretty much wear basketball shirts and t-shirts every day. If I work at the nursing home in the morning, I stay in my scrubs ALL day. I even wear them to the grocery store. Isn't that pathetic?!

    Your post has inspired me to spruce together a cute outfit to wear tonight. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely can be hard to get up the motivation for putting on an outfit...I went through a t-shirt and basketball shorts phase too!! But I think the important thing is being comfortable, and it's amazing how denim shorts and a blouse are just as comfortable, but way more stylish!! Or a maxi skirt and a soft tee are as comfortable as sweats, but wayyy better. Try it.:)

      Delete
  5. Great outfits, but they definitely aren't ones that will work on just any body type. That's where being super skinny would be nice, I'm sure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these outfits, or slight variations of the belted aspect, actually would work VERY well on any body type. you're one of those people I'm jealous of who makes fashion look so effortless, Shelley =)

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tina! You are so encouraging. I like playing around with fashion, you can never take it TOO seriously!

      Delete
  6. Ooooh, I love fun fashion and affordable cute clothes and modesty all wrapped up in one, and you did it so well! I love your classy but adventurous take on style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Clarita! It's always the highest compliment when someone says that I'm stylish AND modest. I definitely like being adventurous in my choices so thanks for the sweet words!!

      Delete
  7. Love this post. Do you want to come shopping with me and help me build my wardrobe:)
    You outfits are just so cute!

    More posts like this would be welcomed!
    It's also good to know that I am not the only one who does the majority of my shopping at second hand stores:)
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to shop with you! Maybe I'll have to do a virtual tour of shopping someday via video.;)

      Delete
  8. I see now why I have absolutely no wardrobe coordination! You got both of our shares of Fashion DNA.

    You are beautiful, sis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. thrift/deal shopping! yay, awesome topic! my specific advices: on the same level as Ross are TJ Maxx and Marshalls - maybe slightly pricer, but the department store brands at a steep discount. Love them for housewares too! And even when thrift shopping, I pay attention to brands when deciding what to try on and what to buy. if i see something like Express, New York&Co., definitely anything Banana Republic or Ann Taylor/Loft - those go in my "give it a chance" pile automatically. and depending where your thrift store is located and the income levels of the people donating, being able to recognized designer names - DKNY (Donna Karan), BCBG - Max Azaria, etc. -- is a good lead too. I'm a lot less likely to buy Forever 21, Mossimo (from Target), Faded Glory (Walmart) etc in a 2nd hand place because they're cheap enough new and low enough in quality to probably be pretty sad by the time they show up in thrifty places. But i did get a great Mossimo shirt dress that's only complaint were some hemline spots which came out upon washing. Awwww... this makes me miss shopping with you Shells! p.s. photogenic as EVER darling. SERIOUSLY gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Anna!! I would love to go shopping with you again.:) And I agree, you need to be brand-choosy when shopping second hand, for sake of quality. But usually it's so cheap that even if it doesn't last forever it's o.k. That's what I love about it!

      Delete
  10. You need to apply to be a catalogue model now!! Your beauty + joy is so lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. He hee Shawn, I think she got my share too. :) Shelley you are lovely! ~ Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're both so funny. :) Thanks for reading! Love you guys

      Delete
  12. Thank you, Shelley! I agree, I need you to come shopping with me too. And yes, more posts like this would be great. Ann Taylor Loft and Gap(sales) is definitely my go-to. I'm going to have to check out Forever 21...I never thought their clothes would fit on my body, but you have inspired me :). Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the Loft too! Especially their sale rack. I've scored some good deals from there! And never be afraid to try something....I heard one time that if you think it's cute, you could pull it off!

      Delete
  13. I just love your style, you are looking gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! You are so kind. Thanks for reading!!

      Delete
  14. I love all of your outfits, something I would love to wear! I am having a What We Wore LInk Party, would love if you could link up: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/what-we-wore-8.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the invite, I did! I love link-ups.:)

      Delete
    2. Thanks for linking up to What We Wore Wednesday at Suburbsmama!

      Delete


  15. Hi, just wanted to tell you, I enjoyed this post. It was
    practical. Keep on posting
    awaremed.com/addictionrecovery

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images