Mexican quinoa salad.

1:45 PM

   O.k. so I made this salad for lunch today and posted a picture on Instagram and had quite a few people ask for the recipe, so....here it is.  I should probably go back and take pictures of all the steps like all the fancy schmancy bloggers do, but I'll be honest with you, I've been baking all morning, the girls are napping, naptime is precious time, and I've got a lot of other things begging for a piece of that time.  So here you are, with two simple pictures and a recipe.

   *Side note* I like to re-use glass bottles that products come in...vinegar, pickles, peanut butter, etc. It's frugal and eco-friendly, but mostly I just do it because I love my cupboards filled with glass jars rather then those ugly cardboard boxes and plastic bags that different things come in. One day my dream pantry shelves will be lined with those apothecary glass jars with lids,(or the ones with hinged lids that seal) and marked with chalkboard labels....but these will work for now. 


Ingredients

1 Cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups black beans (or a 15. oz. can)
1 1/2 cups corn  (I used frozen, thawed)
1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered (I used diced Romas)
1 red bell pepper, diced
5 green onions, diced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or more to taste)

Dressing

1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp. cumin
1 garlic clove, minced
Juice from 1 lime
1/4 tsp salt

Directions

Rinse and drain quinoa.  Add to pot with 2 cups water and bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heart to low and simmer for 20 minutes or until water has absorbed and quinoa is tender.  In a small bowl, add dressing ingredients and whisk together  to thoroughly combine.  In a large bowl, add the cooked quinoa with all other salad ingredients.  Pour dressing over the top and toss to combine.  Can either serve immediately or chill before serving.

   Honestly it was so quick and easy and I didn't even mess up the quinoa like I was sure I would.  It made a fast, healthy lunch and my girls (ages 1 and 2) gobbled it down!  If you're scared that your kids won't even want to try it, introduce it like a "salsa" with tortilla chips like I did.  I dare say this is going to be a staple around here, and probably become my go-to potluck dish as well!  The recipe is by no means my own creation, I got it from my friend Tina. I'm only passing it on! Try it, I know you won't be disappointed.:)

It's Wednesday folks.  Half-way to the weekend. You can make it!


You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. That sounds SO good. Anything with cilantro is fabulous, in my opinion. I will definately be trying it [in part, just so I can say that I now cook with quinoa too :P ]!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many servings and calorie count per serving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks of crazy yummy. and ps we want to see your pantry with all your cute jars. ;) cuz naturally you are cute all the time. #girlcrush

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks similar to one I was making earlier this year. So yummy! Thanks for the reminder! Oh, and just a side note: when I'm making savory quinoa, I've liked how cooking it in chicken broth makes it a little more full flavored. I like your honesty too . . . about not having time to take pictures of all the steps, 'cause you know, you're a mom and have a lot going on. :) Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had quinoa but this looks pretty tasty to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made this salad for hubby's lunch. He loved it, I loved it! Thanks so much for the receipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made this today, It is fantastic. I loosly figured out 10 servings of one cup each for 146 calories. Thanks for the great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This salad is delicious! I cooked the quinoa in my rice cooker with some chicken boullion, cooled it down and added the remaining ingredients. It makes a lot! Who knew that one little cup of quinoa could yield so much! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images