Oh, holy night.

12:13 AM

I'm not trying to be a copy-cat here, but this blog post just got me thinking...
http://resolved2worship.xanga.com/737366007/was-it-really-like-we-imagined/

  I've found myself thinking of Mary pretty often these days, probably because I sympathize with her plight.  Pregnant with her firstborn around Christmas time, not knowing what labor would be like, or when it would happen.  So many unknowns...I'm sure she found herself consumed with thoughts of her baby and wondering just how it would feel when He entered the world and turned hers upside-down.  Unlike me, she knew what she was having.  I don't even know HOW to think of this child yet! A son, or a daughter.  Blue, or pink.  Snips and snails or sugar and spice. 

   As hard as I may think I have it, waiting patiently for this child to make his/her appearance, something I cannot overlook is the fact that poor Mary probably had a legion of people doubting her innocence.  I mean after all, she was pregnant before marriage.  Can you imagine losing your reputation, your "good name" in the community?  Family, friends and loved ones believing the worst of you?  And then there's Joseph...I just really admire and applaud his enthusiasm and participation in supporting Mary in a pregnancy with a child that wasn't his.  At least I assume he did.  But what if he didn't?  After all, he was only human, and I'm sure it would be difficult to be just as excited as you would for your own child. 

   I don't know what the future holds for this child growing inside me, but I know the One Who does.  Mary would have had so many good reasons to be sick with worry.  She could have worried about what her Son would have to go through, and what He might have to suffer.  She could have worried about how much time she would get with Him, and when He might be taken from her.  I hope on that holy night, she was able to not worry for at least a little while.  I hope she was able to touch the soft, downy, velvet of His skin and breathe in His scent and just hold her little baby close and sing lullabies to Him.  I wonder if He curled His hand around her finger and she was able to know, even if only for that moment, that everything would be o.k.....


Fragile finger sent to heal us,
Tender brow prepared for thorn.
Tiny heart whose blood will save us,
Unto us is born.

So wrap our injured flesh around You,
Breathe our air and walk our sod.
Rob our sin and make us holy,
Perfect Son of God,
Perfect Son of God,
Welcome to our world.
 

  

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Aw... SO cute! You don't know,but I have been following your blog for a long time. One time Emily Smucker,(who doesn't know me either!)mentioned your blog on her blog. ANYWAY. The baby is so cute. May the Lord bless you! Btw cool baby name!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images