Ol' Saint Valentine...

10:54 PM

   I wasn't going to post about Valentine's day until I could also post pics of the day, but let's just be honest with ourselves, my blog is going to curl up and die if I wait to post until I have recent, up-to-date pictures every time, so I'll just get on with it.


   Valentine's day was lovely, thanks to my thoughtful hubby.  He pampered me with a massage, necklace, flowers, chocolates, a cheesecake-caramel-apple (you read right), and shooing me out of the kitchen while he made dinner.  And this wasn't any old hamburger helper either, we're talkin' steak, shrimp alfredo, lobster tails and steamed asparagus.  Delightful.  

   It was the perfect night "in" because it is really much easier to stay home with Jocelyn, and I still didn't have to cook!  What did you all do for Valentine's Day?  Was it a night out on the town?  Popcorn and a movie?  Kids, no kids?  Which brings me to my next question....what do you think about dating life after kids?  I would really like some feedback on this one because people have such varying opinions on this matter and it really interests me.

   Do you still do things as a couple after having children?  If so, how often?  If not, why not?  I know that some people place a high priority on family time and including their children in every activity.  And they're very right.....family time is IMPORTANT.  I just so happen to believe that you were a "family" before you had your firstborn child.  Children join your family, they don't make you a family.   And I believe that honoring that special relationship between husband and wife by spending some quality time alone, together, is important.  But these are just my opinions, and everyone is entitled to their own!  So I would love to hear your thoughts.  The few of you that actually read this. :)

   Well, a post is no fun without pictures, so even though I don't have any of this year's valentine's day, I'll post some old ones, and some REALLY old ones. :)  This ought to be interesting....






Keep those home fires burning people!  Go show your man some love.  Guess I better follow my own advice. :) I'm off---goodnight!
Enhanced by Zemanta

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. My opinion is one of the best things you can do for your children is to prioritize time alone with just you and your husband and to keep the romance alive. My husband and I try to have a date night at least once a month. Besides special holidays and birthdays. Our ideal would be do have a date night once a week but we found that if we can at least do it once a month it helps our relationship soooo much. It doesn't have to be much, but we do have to do it alone. It's very important. Besides that romantic things you can do for each other on a daily basis are very important as well. It's important to date each other even more when you have children than when you don't because your time alone is limited, so you have to prioritize. Great post and Thumbs up to your husband sounds like he's got it right. Reminds me of mine ;-) And I agree with you wholeheartedly! Keep those homefires burning.
    --LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w/ LaDonna and what you said Shelly! It is even more important to keep the relationship alive and thriving after children arrive! And yes, its important for your kids to see that relationship between their parents too. We aim for 2 dates a month, doesn't have to be anything great, but time away to just spend time talking and having fun!
    We're all about family time though too and have made it a priority to have a family night once a week as well.
    Blessings as you figure out what is best for your family and as you keep the relationships that matter most (next to God of course! =)) alive!
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently not married but in a relationship and find it hard to spend quality time with work, school and outside influences. Plus I am learning that if you do not allow God to be a daily part of your life than it can make for a challenging relationship. I read your blogs religiously and always walk away with great insight, advice and with a wonderful dose of the Lord. I am blessed to be a part of your lives thru your blogs even though we are 1300 miles apart. :)
    Keep up the great insight and may the Lord bless you, Randy and Jocelyn each and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so... I"m not married yet either. :) But some of my visions for my future and my marriage definitely include doing all that is possible to keeping my relationship with my husband up-to-date and alive. I believe that the best thing I could ever do for my children is to adore and be madly in love with their father. :) I love the idea of doing date nights alone as a couple and then maybe possibly doing date nights with each of the kids in turn??? Might be idealistic considering the fact that it would take a lot of time. :)
    Blessings dear... I love stopping in here at your blog and keeping up with you and your family. :) <3 U!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ladonna- I agree, prioritizing time is a must! It's not that we don't "have enough" time, it's that we don't use it like we should.

    Cindy- That's a good idea to not only establish date nights, but family night too! Thanks for sharing!

    Anon- Thanks so much for the encouraging words, I'm so glad that this blog in any way blessed you!

    Nomes- Thanks for checking in! I enjoy hearing from you! And I don't think your goals for married/family life are too idealistic at all...it's good to set your sights high. And you will make a GREAT wife/mommy. :)

    Thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shells, great post as usual! Hmm, I probably have all the answers now since I'm still not married, so...I'm definitely agreeing on dates being a very important thing after marriage. Possibly even the same or very similar reasons as before marriage, right? To continue getting to know each other, and spend quality time together, as well as discuss stuff that matters and that is harder to discuss around the other cares of life at times. Okay, now for some quality time with...my homework. :S :D Thanks for posting this; great thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images