Home canned jalapeños.

2:58 PM

 



   'Tis the season for canning, and the jalapeños in our garden are going absolutely crazy.  I needed to do SOMETHING with them and so I finally bit the bullet and canned them.  I won't deny that I am looking forward to fall for many reasons....crisp leaves, tall boots, knit sweaters, and pumpkin scented candles.  But perhaps the greatest of all will be the new season signaling the end of canning season.

   It's no secret that canning and preserving is not at the top of the list of my favorite things to do, but I will admit to a great sense of satisfaction when I make myself do it.  And I have been doing a lot of it lately....applesauce and apple pie filling, pickles, plums, pears, and today, jalapeños.

   But for me, when it comes to canning, I need to keep things quick and simple or I get overwhelmed.  Luckily, I found a really simple recipe online and you can watch the tutorial over here if any of you are interested.  Anyway, here it is!

Add these ingredients to each pint jar:
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp basil
1 tsp oregano
1 clove fresh garlic

Fill each jar with sliced jalapeños.

   Mix these liquids in a pot on the stove and bring to boiling: (makes 4 pints, double or triple as needed)
8 oz. oil (olive or canola)
2 C vinegar
1 C water

   Pour hot liquid over jalapeños and seal with hot lids and rings.  Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.

   And that's it!  See, I told you it was simple!  And simple, quick, canning is obviously, the very best kind.  Oh and P.S......wear gloves. ;)

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. I just did 11 pints on Friday! My recipe looked a little different though. Hope they are good- don't think I will be eating them though as they are too spicy for me :) they look so pretty in the jars! -Janine

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images