Banana bread and meetings with God.

4:29 PM

   Today I took the bicycle into town instead of the car.  I would highly recommend it.  There's just no better way to take in the sights, smells, and sounds.  As I made my way to the post office, I swerved from side to side, crunching all the newly-fallen leaves. No pedestrians were harmed. 

   After I ran all my errands, I desperately wanted to get a cup of coffee and spend the rest of the morning down by the river, reading.  However, I headed home like the dutiful wife I am, and made my dear hubby lunch.  And then I started baking.  Coconut-lime banana bread and baked oatmeal are the baked goods of choice today.  The scent of the banana bread is wafting through the house and baby is getting impatient!  He/she wants some. I don't, but baby does, so I must comply. :)

   O.k. so I'm back a couple hours later, and the banana bread was a success!  Took a fresh, warm slice to my dusty, handsome hubby at work and he loved it!  Said it was maybe the best baked good I've made yet.  *blush*  So I must give credit where credit is due, and link the lovely site where I scored the recipe. 


http://www.dana-made-it.com/2008/07/recipe-coconut-lime-banana-bread.html

Check it out.  Also check out the DELIGHTFUL accessories on their home page...I'm so into yellow right now!  Scroll down a little farther to the circle skirts...sigh.  If I have a little girl some day, we will make circle skirts together, one for her, one for me. 

   Today is a good day.  Which is a bit surprising after a rough night.  Was awoken (Awakened? Woken?)  at 3:00 am by a very unpleasant dream and proceeded to feel a straight-on attack from the enemy.  This came as no surprise, because the previous evening I attended a women's Bible study called "The Gathering" which never disappoints.  Women speaking life into women, prayers and praise being offered, and this particular time, exchanges were made.  We all had an opportunity to exchange shame in our lives for God's perfect love which casts out fear.   We wrote letters to God that no one will ever see, and in it released our shame and pain.  As a token of the exchange, we were all given a decadent, chocolate truffle in a gold box and I'd say we DEFINITELY got the better end of the deal!  Then again, we always do, when we give God our ashes in exchange for beauty. 



   So what did I do when I found myself awake at 3:00 am and feeling that full-on attack of fear, shame and despair?  I went to the kitchen, made myself a cup of tea, and dove into Beth Moore’s Bible study.  I was reminded of several things: 
 -I am God’s chief creation, and I am here for His pleasure and glory.
-God did not create me so that He could have the front-row seat at an ongoing saga of my follies and failures.
-God created me because he delights in me. 






   Some journaling, Bible searching and prayer later, my soul felt at rest, and I was able to crawl back into bed and get some sleep. 

   And that’s why I am not taking the joy of this day for granted!  His mercies are new every morning, and if it weren’t so, would we ever get out of bed? 

   I hope you all are having a marvelous Tuesday.

You Might Also Like

6 comments

  1. I agree riding bike into town is the best way to go! Your bread looks scrumptous, I think I will try it! Also thanks for the reminder of who we are in Christ....Somehow my heart keeps forgetting this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful post!! ok i admit, im jealous of u being able to bike into town:) how fun! and the bread looks wonderful!!!:) it was a delightful time being able to talk to u today! thanks for sharing this...i need it! love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. shelley, i needed that reminder that God's mercies are new every morning. getting out of bed is just kind of depressing when it seems like there is no tangible purpose to be here... but there is hope...
    i love you girl!
    heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. yum.yum.yum. i have some overripe bananas on my counter...you may have given me just the inspiration i needed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post as usual, girl. Woot woot on God's mercies being new every morning! Even though God Himself isn't limited to time, it's cool that it's worded in a way that makes sense to us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, I am going to make that banana bread- it looks amazing! What a cool twist on an old time favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Like us on Facebook

Flickr Images